Hall Fame Class of 2016
Richard T. Christopher ’57
Dick graduated from Mount Saint Mary's University in 1961 with a B.S. in accounting. He began his real estate career with Patterson-Schwartz & Associates, Inc. that same year. He was a salesman, sales manager, general manager, executive Vice President and retired in 2012 as CEO and president.
Dick currently serves as Vice Chair of the Board of Directors of The Nemours Foundation, Chairman of The Nemours Alfred I. DuPont Hospital Board of Managers -Delaware Valley, and Chairman of the Advisory Council for the Nemours Health and Prevention Services.
He was a member and past chairman of the New Castle County Board of Realtors, a member of the Delaware Association of Realtors and the National Association of Realtors. He was a director and past chairman of The Dozen and The Realty Alliance, both national organizations of real estate companies. He was a director and chairman of TREND (The Delaware Valley Regional MLS) in Philadelphia.
In 1996 he co- chaired the capital campaign for the renovation of St. Ann's Catholic School, 2006 he co-chaired Habitat for Humanity of New Castle County’s capital campaign and in 2011 co-chaired "Our Children, Our Hospital” the capital campaign for the expansion of The Nemours Alfred I. DuPont Hospital for Children.
Dick has served the Catholic Diocese of Wilmington on its Foundation and Finance Boards of Directors, as well as a chairman of the Annual Campaign. He also served as President of St. Ann's Parish Council. He served as a trustee for St. Edmond's Academy and Mount Saint Mary's University and on the Board of Directors of Holloway Bros. Tools, and as a director and past chairman of the Board of Directors of the YMCA of Delaware. He is a past member of DEFAC (Delaware Economic and Financial Advisory Committee) for the State of Delaware.
Dick served Salesianum as a Trustee and chaired one of its first long- range self-studies, leading to much innovation in the structure of governance, finances, and planning for the school. Dick currently is active with the St. Patrick's Center, The #107 Colored School, Meals on Wheels, Urban Promise of Wilmington, Kids with Confidence, and Habitat for Humanity of New Castle County.
Maj. Gen. Charles J. Dunlap, Jr., USAF (Ret) ’68
Maj Gen. Charles J. Dunlap Jr., USAF (Ret.), the former deputy judge advocate general of the United States Air Force, joined the Duke Law faculty in July 2010 where he is a professor of the practice of law and Executive Director of the Center on Law, Ethics and National Security. His teaching and scholarly writing focus on national security, international law, civil-military relations, lawfare, cyberwar, airpower, military justice and ethical issues related to the practice of national security law.
Dunlap retired from the Air Force in June 2010, having attained the rank of major general during a 34-year career in the Judge Advocate General Corps. From 2006-2010 he served as deputy judge advocate general, he assisted the judge advocate general in the professional supervision of more than 2,200 judge advocates, 350 civilian lawyers, 1,400 enlisted paralegals and 500 civilians globally. In addition to overseeing an array of military justice, operational, international and civil law functions, he provided legal advice to the Air Staff and commanders at all levels.
Dunlap previously served as staff judge advocate at Headquarters Air Combat Command at Langley Air Force Base and at Headquarters Air Education and Training Command at Randolph Air Force Base, among other leadership posts. His other assignments include the faculty of the Air Force Judge Advocate General School where he taught various civil and criminal law topics. An experienced trial lawyer, he also spent two years as a military trial judge for a 22-state circuit. He served tours in the United Kingdom and Korea, and he deployed for operations in the Middle East and Africa, including short stints in support of the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. He also led military-to-military delegations to Colombia, Uruguay, Iraq, and the Czech Republic.
A prolific author and accomplished public speaker, Dunlap’s commentary on a wide variety of national security topics has been published in leading newspapers and military journals. His 1992 essay, “The Origins of the American Military Coup of 2012,” was selected by the U.S. Army for a special anniversary edition of its journal, Parameters. Another essay, written in 2001 for Harvard University’s Carr Center, addresses “lawfare,” a concept he defines as “the use or misuse of law as a substitute for traditional military means to accomplish an operational objective,” has been highly influential among military scholars and in the broader legal academy. He has a forthcoming article, Accountability and Autonomous Weapons: Much Ado About Nothing?, which will be published in the fall of 2016 by Temple University’s International and Comparative law Journal. His blog is LAWFIRE http://sites.duke.edu/lawfire/
Rev. William J. Hultberg, OSFS ’49
Father William Hultberg is a Roman Catholic priest, and a member of the Oblates of st. Francis DeSales. He is presently employed by Caron Treatment Centers in Wernersville, Pennsylvania, as the Director of Clinical Pastoral Services/Assistant to the President
Father Bill was bestowed an honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters degree from Alvernia University in December of 2011. In addition, he holds a Bachelor's Degree from LaSalle University in Education and Spanish. He pursued his theological studies at DeSales Hall, Hyattsville, Maryland, and was ordained a priest in 1962. He began his graduate work at Catholic University of America and completed his Master's Degree in Education/Guidance at Niagara University.
Father Bill is a Certified Pastoral Alcoholism Counselor, and a graduate of the U.S. Naval Institute of Alcoholism Studies, San Diego, California. He also completed Drug/Alcohol Counselor training at the U.S. Army's Academy of Health Science, at Fort Sam in Houston, Texas. He has done graduate work in the addictive diseases at the University of Virginia, and completed internship programs at Seabrook House in New Jersey, Chit Chat Farms (now Caron Treatment Centers) in Wernersville, Pennsylvania, and the CATS Program at Fairfax Hospital, Virginia. He developed and administered one of the United States’ first fully credited high school courses on drug and alcohol addiction.
In addition, Father Bill had extensive active duty and reserve experience with the USArmy and Navy. At the end of the Korean conflict, he was drafted into the Army as an enlisted man serving 18 months in Japan; he was discharged with the rank of Cpl. In 1955. Father Bill was commissioned as a Navy Chaplain in 1965, which began his active duty career. He received the Outstanding Navel Reservist award from the Western New York Chapter in 1967. As a Navy Chaplain, he served with the Marines in Vietnam where he received the Bronze Star Medal with Combat V for Valor. As an active duty Chaplain with the US Army, he has received four Meritorious Service Medals for his work in developing and implementing alcohol and drug prevention programs. He completed his military career as an Active Reservist, and retired as a Lieutenant Colonel in 1991, completing 35 years of military service.
Presently, Father Hultberg offers spiritual and religious counseling to recovering addicts and co-dependents. He developed and implemented a spiritual program supporting HIV positive and AIDS patients. His message to the suffering is, “We love you as you are!" He specifically designed a liturgy that helps recovering people develop a healthy relationship with God and their religious denomination.
In 2000, Father Hultberg received the Ryan White National Award (faith based category) for his Spiritual Retreat Program for those affected by HIV.
Father Bill was awarded the Emerald Spirit Award at New York City’s annual Sober St. Patrick's Day Celebration, honoring his extraordinary dedication and devotion to improving the lives of family members of alcoholics and addicts.
In 2015, Father Bill was awarded the Father Joseph C. Martin Award for his outstanding contributions to the addiction education and treatment fields.
In 2016, Father Bill was inducted into the Athletic Hall of Fame of Bishop Ireton High School, honoring his service as its 1975 Varsity Golf Team Coach.
Francis John “Mike” McCall ’24
Mike played football and basketball while a student at Salesianum from 1921 to 1924. He graduated in 1924 along with good friend Daniel J. Monigle, Sr.
Mike graduated from Mt. St. Mary’s College in the 1930 with a degree in chemistry. As a student there he played football, basketball and baseball. During his sports career at The Mount, he was awarded eleven athletic letters; was a Little All-American as an end in football and was captain of the basketball team.
In 1930, he was employed by the DuPont Co. at the Experimental Station (Research Division). He was part of the nylon research team headed by Crawford Greenwalt (future DuPont Co. President) and Wallace Carothers, the pre-eminent polymer chemist. In 1932, he became the Salesianum football coach until 1939 when Dupont transferred he and his family to Seaford. He worked the “Graveyard shift” to be able to conduct practice in the afternoon usually at Rockford Park. His teams amassed a record of 41-18-5 during his career. The 1934 team was Catholic League co-champions. A prominent player on the team was Dim Montero.
In the 1940’s, he mentored Fr. Buzzy O’Neill and others in the Delaware high school sports scene until DuPont transferred him south to Virginia in early 1950’s. In late 1950’s Dupont transferred him back to Wilmington as director of technical personnel for the Texile Fibers Department. He was chairman of the Salesianum Parents Council in the early 1960’s. After a 40 year career, he retired from Dupont in 1971. In 2002, Mike was inducted into the Delaware Sports Hall of Fame.
At the time of Mike’s death in 1975, Dim Montero was quoted in a local newspaper, “Here are so many things you think of…. He knew more football than anyone I ever was associated with. He had unique way of working with young people…… All I can say, he was both a wonderful coach and man.”
Justice William M. Duffy ’36
Justice William “Bill” Duffy was born in Wilmington, Delaware on November 4, 1916. Prior to Salesianum, he attended St. Paul’s and St. Patrick’s school’s in Wilmington. He graduated with a degree in economics in 1940 from the University of Delaware and, later, from the University of Pennsylvania Law School.
Justice Duffy served with distinction in the Army Air Corps during World War II as a B-24 bomber pilot, rising to the rank of Captain. He earned the Distinguished Flying Cross with oak leaf clusters and the Air Medal with four oak leaf clusters while flying twenty-seven missions. In 1951, during the Korean War, William Duffy returned to active duty at the rank of major.
After returning to Wilmington following the end of World War II, he joined Daniel Herrmann to form the law firm of Herrmann and Duffy. On March 23, 1961, he was appointed Associate Judge of the Superior Court of Delaware. In 1962 he was appointed to the position of President Judge of that Court and, later, was sworn in as Chancellor of the Court of Chancery on April 2, 1966.
Upon his appointment as Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of Delaware on August 9, 1973, William Duffy became the second person in Delaware’s history to serve on the three major constitutional courts. After retiring from the bench, Justice Duffy taught corporate law at Widener University School of Law.
Justice Duffy was a gentle man with an underlying layer of steel who earned a national reputation for excellence, and was known for his intelligence, civility, and fairness. He handled even the most difficult cases with dignity. When he was asked to sit by special assignment, he never refused to take a case.
Away from the bench, Justice Duffy used his grace and dignity to serve his community, and was often recognized for his work to build bridges and serve others. He was the founder and first president of the Catholic Interracial Council of Delaware, for which he received the 1960 James J. Hoey Award for Interracial Justice from the Catholic Interracial Council of New York. For his contribution to The National Conference of Christians and Jews, Justice Duffy received the 1961 National Human Relations Award and the Papal Medal: Pro Ecclasia et Pontifice 1965. In 1982, he was honored with the Delaware State Bar Association’s First State Distinguished Service Award. He also received the Msgr. Paul J. Taggart St. Thomas More Award in 1994. Justice Duffy was also among the first laymen to be elected to the Salesianum Board of Trustees
Above all else, Justice Duffy cherished his role as a husband, son, brother, dad, grandfather, uncle, and friend to many. On February 22, 1945, he married Mary Louise Raskob. The couple had four children – Kathleen, Eileen, Gerardine, and Michael – and nine grandchildren. After a courageous battle with cancer, Justice William Duffy died on September 24, 1997.
Mark L. Reardon, Esquire ’78
Delaware lawyer Mark Reardon serves as a passionate advocate and counselor for institutions and causes close to his heart – none more so than Salesianum School.
Mark was a distinguished student at Salesianum School and Boston College and earned a Juris Doctorate from The Delaware Law School of Widener University. Admitted to practice law in Delaware and Pennsylvania, his practice covers a range of matters in litigation, non-profit governance and school law. He is a member (partner) of the national law firm Eckert Seamans Cherin & Mellott, LLC, where he serves on the firm's Board of Directors and as co-chair of the mass tort litigation practice.
Mark is a former member of Salesianum's Board of Trustees and has served as School Counsel since appointment to the post in 1996. He has expanded upon the traditional role of school attorney, serving as a principal advisor to every Salesianum President since Fr. Kenney’s tenure. As School Counsel for two decades, Mark has been directly involved in every major decision at Salesianum, providing advice and counsel on matters ranging from Board governance, advancement issues, and personnel matters, to real estate, construction projects and litigation. He is routinely the first person School administrators call, particularly when clear advice is needed. A familiar face around campus, Mark has attended every Board meeting for 20 years and attended more than an estimated 1,000 School events during this span.
Committed to serving the wider community, Mark carries his Salesianum pride beyond our campus. He has served as Counsel to the Delaware State Legislature, and is a former member of the Delaware Supreme Court's Board on Professional Responsibility. Mark currently presides as Vice President of the Board of the Delaware River Pilot Commissioners. He is also a member of the Executive Committee of the St. Thomas More Society of the Catholic Diocese of Wilmington and a member and past President of the Ministry of Caring, Inc. Board of Directors. In addition, Mark served as a Trustee to St. Francis Hospital from 2000 to 2009, where he continues to serve as Counsel. Notably, Mark was awarded the Monsignor Paul J. Taggart - St. Thomas More Award in 2013 for his leadership in representing religious institutions. The award recognized Mark's strong and pervasive sense of justice, personal courage and conviction, commitment to law and religion, and his record of personal sacrifice for the good of the community.
Mark is the third of four generations of Reardons to attend Salesianum. His grandfather, Judge Francis Reardon, is also a member of the Salesianum Hall of Fame. Mark and his wife Megan have four children; their son Michael ’08 is a fourth-generation graduate of Salesianum.
For 20 years, Mark Reardon has been a close, trusted advisor to the Salesianum Board of Trustees and School Administrators, who have been guided by his unceasing dedication, energy, integrity and good counsel.
O. Francis Biondi, Esquire ’50
Mr. Biondi grew up on Vandever Avenue on the East Side of Wilmington. His parents, Ferdinando and Mary Biondi, instilled in him the importance of a good education and sacrificed to ensure he received one. Mr. Biondi earned a scholarship to attend LaSalle College, graduating Magna Cum Laude with a BA in Economics in 1954. Later, Mr. Biondi obtained an MA in Economics with honors from Boston College. In 1958, Mr. Biondi was admitted to the Delaware Bar after graduating from the University of Pennsylvania Law School.
Over the course of his 50 plus years of practice, he co-founded 2 small law firms, served as the City Solicitor of the City of Wilmington (1963 – 1969, after serving as First Assistant from 1961 – 1963) and became a Senior Partner at Morris Nichols Arsht & Tunnell, one of the State’s preeminent legal firms.During his time in the City Solicitor’s office, Mr. Biondi authored Wilmington’s first Public Accommodation Ordinance prohibiting discrimination in places of public accommodation (1961) and the first comprehensive Housing Code establishing minimum standards for housing (1962), both firsts for Wilmington and Delaware. Mr. Biondi helped guide the City government through the civil disturbances of 1967 and 1968, balancing the need to restore order with the safe-guarding of the lives, rights and property of all of its citizens.
In private practice, Mr. Biondi worked his way to the top of his profession, serving as President of the Delaware State Bar Association (1984 – 1985) and President of the Delaware Bar Foundation (1991 – 1995).
During his time at Morris Nichols, Mr. Biondi developed an expertise in federal and state banking law. Mr. Biondi was the lead author of the Financial Center Development Act of 1981 and acted as its legislative representative before the Delaware General Assembly. The FCDA is credited with creating more than 30,000 jobs and spurring billions of dollars of development in New Castle County; it effectively lifted Delaware out of the financial crisis of the 1970’s and helped it establish a thriving financial services sector.
Alongside his private practice, Mr. Biondi provided thousands of hours of pro bono legal service, most notably as counsel for St. Anthony’s, where Father Roberto Recruited Mr. Biondi in 1958.
An active member of the community, Mr. Biondi served as a trustee of several notable area institutions, including The Grand Opera House, the Wilmington Medical Center, the Delaware Public Policy Institute, and the University of Pennsylvania Law School.
Mr. Biondi has received countless recognition for his contributions to the legal and non-legal communities, including the Order of the First State. Awarded by the governor, it is the highest honor a citizen of Delaware can receive.
Most recently, in January 2016, Mr. Biondi was awarded the Josiah Marvel Cup by the Delaware State Chamber of Commerce. The Josiah Marvel Cup is the DSCC’s highest honor and is awarded annually to a Delawarean who has made an outstanding contribution to the State, community or society.
Mr. Biondi is most proud of his 54 year marriage to his wife Anita, his children, Francis Jr. and Mary Catherine, and grandchildren, Serena, Carter and Joy.