Goal 1: Continue to create a culture that promotes a safe and healthy environment for students.
- Praesidium Accreditation achieved by January 2014 with a Praesidium Safety Score of at least 85.
- Evaluation of school security completed and recommendation for improvement is available.
- Survey results show students feel safe at Salesianum regardless of their race, religion or sexual orientation.
Goal 2: Create a culture where diversity of perspective is broadened and strengthened.
- Comprehensive Diversity Plan adopted within 3 years addressing all aspects of the Inclusiveness Report and substantial progress made in implementing actions the 4 prioritized recommendations.
- Curriculum evolves to reflect more diverse perspectives and/or diverse contributions and influences (both in terms of ethnicity and gender) in history, literature, religion, culture and the sciences.
- The percentage of minority students has increased from 7% to 10%.
- The number of minority faculty in the school has increased from 2 to 4.
- General surveys of entire Salesianum student body and staff reflect broadly held attitudes that diverse cultures and identities are welcomed at the school.
Goal 3: Enable Salesianum to more fully live out its mission by increasing accessibility to students of all financial means.
- The total percentage of students on financial aid has increased from 22% to 40%.
- 10% of students from each class are in each quartile of unmet need (e.g., 10% of sophomore class has a demonstrated unmet need of 75-100% of tuition, 10% needs 50-74% of tuition, etc.).
- Provide $1.5M in tuition assistance each year. (See Finance and Advancement Goals.)
Goal 4: Through our Catholic Tradition, strengthen Salesian identity with our lay faculty, students and staff who will be increasingly asked to carry the mantle of our Salesian identity.
- All new hires participate in the Salesian Formation Program as a stipulation of their employment.
- Members of the religious studies department and participants in the Adult Faith Formation program, along with either the academic dean or principal will conduct a review of the Salesian identity course.
- Faculty and staff encouraged to participate in community service projects and spiritual retreats involving students by providing them the opportunity to miss class days to join the trips.
Goal 5: Reevaluate Salesianum by-laws and governance documents to ensure they reflect best practices and maximize the institution’s potential for long-term sustainability.
- A governance Steering Committee has presented recommendations to the Board of Trustees.
Goal 1: Create a stronger academic focus to maximize the potential of each student and elevate the reputation of Salesianum as a premier, rigorous academic institution.
- 12 metrics have been identified to measure academic growth for individual students
- Focus will be on ensuring that each student maximizes his opportunities post-graduation
- Retain a consultant to do a major review of curriculum to assess core requirements, scope, and sequencing.
- School administration will make time for academic departments to meet regularly for the purposes of curriculum planning and professional development.
- English, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies, Religious Studies, and World Languages Departments will work to show formal and consistent evidence of horizontal planning (cross-curricular) with at least one other department per year.
- Identify resources and encourage faculty to participate in professional development on differentiated instruction.
- Use data to track growth, inform instruction and promote ongoing curriculum improvement
- Increase guidance staff to provide a more personal experience for students and parents particularly in the college admissions process.
- Clearly define the role of the Brisson Center in the school community and ensure the staff have the proper expertise for the services it provides.
Goal 2: Foster a culture that has a relentless sense of the need for ongoing improvement and that values the experience of other people and institutions.
- All teachers receive annual summative evaluations that include valuable feedback in addition to regular formative classroom evaluations and mini-observations from Principal, Academic Dean, and Department Chairs.
- Performance reviews will be completed for every full-time employee.
- Administration will create an expectation of ongoing professional development and provide the necessary time and resources to encourage faculty to participate.
Goal 3: Raise the profile of Salesianum's arts program to prospective students and within the school community.
- The percentage of students involved in extra-curricular arts activities has increased from 12% to 17%.
- The percentage of students involved in extra-curricular activities in both the arts and athletics has increased from 7.7% to 15%.
- Create meaningful partnerships with arts organizations in the community.
- Create a culture, schedule, and policy that encourages students to participate in both the arts and athletics.
Goal 4: Implement a comprehensive service-learning program that forms students morally and intellectually as Salesian gentlemen committed to faith and justice.
- 10% of Salesianum students will be engaged through immersion and service learning trips with three poor communities in the United States and two poor communities in developing nations.
- Create a plan to grow and develop the BRIDGE Program (Building Relationships In Diverse Global Environments) in order to promote immersion experiences and service trips both nationally and internationally.
- Develop substantial and formalized learning program for all service trips that is connected to the curriculum and provides students with the time and structure to process their experience with classmates and staff.
Advancement and Finance
Goal 1: Improve the performance of The Fund for Salesianum such that the annual yield reaches $1 million by 2018.
- 20% of all alumni participate in The Fund for Salesianum.
- 40% of current parents participate in The Fund for Salesianum.
- 100% of Salesianum's Board of Trustees participate in The Fund for Salesianum.
Goal 2: Fully funding - through endowment and direct financial aid - $1.5 million annually in tuition assistance.
- Endowment increased to $24 million and provides $1.2 million annually for tuition assistance.
- Special event programming and The Fund for Salesianum provide $300,000 annually for tuition assistance.
Goal 3: Establish Salesianum as a life-long center of community and learning for all alumni, family and friends of the school.
- Develop a charter for the Alumni Association to clarify the Association's mission and encourage more meaningful service over discrete periods of time.
- Develop programs and events that allow for the full participation of the Salesianum community.
- Utilize existing affinity groups and relationships to identify leaders and strengthen ties with alumni and friends who may no longer be active.
Goal 4: Create a comprehensive cash management plan that includes developing adequate cash reserves, responsible debt policy and provisions for strategic and emergency spending.
- School continues to maintain a balanced Operating Budget.
- School Funds PPRRSM account $250k annually.
- Cash Reserves continue to increase towards goal of 60 days cash reserve.
Goal 5: Enable the school to remain financially sustainable by achieving and sustaining an enrollment of over 1000 boys by attracting students from new markets.
- Develop strategy for attracting students from public middle schools.
- Develop strategy for attracting students from southern New Jersey and Delaware County, PA.
- School website is rebuilt to create a unified branding strategy.
- School website is rebuilt to enable school staff to dynamically update content.
Goal 1: Complete current maintenance projects.
- Roof Replacement - Phase 2.
- Parking Lot Paving.
- Brick/Masonry Repointing.
- Sidewalk Repairs.
Goal 2: Upgrade and/or renovate facilities to address the current and future needs of the school.
- Complete Library renovations (2014).
- Complete Administration Offices Upgrade (2015).
- Complete Lavatory Renovations Completion - Phase 2 (2016).
- Complete Auditorium Renovations (2018).